Inti……what? Inti Raymi
The Inti Raymi, or festival of the sun was an Inca ceremony which was performed on an annual basis in Cusco, the capital of the Tawantinsuyo, between the final period of the harvest and the start of the winter equinox of the Andes, that is, in the second half of the month of June.
There were several reasons that led to the Inca civilization to make the sacrifices and offerings to the Sun god. One was that the Inca, as well as the nobility cusqueña, were considered natural children of the sun; they obey its existence, and should rest solely with sacrifices and offerings.
On the other hand, if the corn crop was good, they had to say thank you, and if it was bad, they had to beg for the coming year compensate them with a good production.
In June, during the winter solstice, when the sun was pulling away, the cold increased and the sunrise in the water was iced up, they had to ask the sun to come back, and finally they had to convey to the Sun god, eternity and total dedication to their children, with deference and respect.
For more than six centuries, the Inca Pachakuteq established the feast to the Sun god. The Cusqueños, currently continue to represent the Inti Raymi with the same fervor with which their ancestors made it in the glorious times of the Inca empire.
The Inti Raymi, in its contemporary version is performed from the June 24 of 1944, when they were instituted the feasts of the city in memory of their ancient origin and birthplace of the great Inca civilization.
The feast in honor of the Sun god, is carried out in three scenarios:
1. Qorikancha: in the Inca Empire, it was the main temple dedicated to the Sun god.
2. The plaza de Armas: in this vast plaza is developed the ceremony in the middle of a ceremonial platform.
3. Saqsaywaman – Acts of the final staging
- Entrance to the Ceremonial Site
- Report of the 4 suyus or regions: Qollasuyu, Kuntisuyu, Antisuyu, Chinchaysuyu.
- Rite of the chicha
- Rite of the sacred fire
- Sacrifice of the llama (south america camel)
- Rite of sankhu (sacred bread )
Hours of the ceremony
- 9:00 hrs Qorikancha: Beginning of the staging. (30 minutes).
- 11:00 hrs Plaza de Armas : Entrance of the Inca and his royal Entourage (45 minutes)
- 13:30 hrs Central Ceremony (90 minutes).
The Municipal Company of Celebrations of Cusco- emufec, implements the necessary services: armchairs on fiberglass, portable toilets, center for information and assistance to the tourist and first aids and safety (incident command system), which allow you to enjoy the event with all the necessary guarantees.
How to Assist
You don’t need to pay entrance fee to access to the sequences of the Inti Raymi in Qorikancha and in the Plaza de Armas. It is recommended that you get there early to gain an adequate visual perspective.
The entrance and location in the gallery installed in the esplanade of Saqsaywaman are through the acquisition or pre-booked tickets and numbered, according to the areas that are specified in the schedule and plan of the site.
The central ceremony of the Inti Raymi is performed at the esplanade in Saqsaywaman, in which space is enabled the galleries with capacity for 3.859 spectators. The cost of the entrance tickets are detailed below:
|Orange Zone||USD $ 140||USD $ 70|
|Blue Zone||USD $ 140||USD $ 70|
|Green Zone||USD $ 100||USD $ 50|
- Children Tickets: limited capacity of 50 paxs minors of 12 years after verification of their document.
- The cost is expressed in US dollars or its equivalent in national currency to the exchange rate of the day of your deposit.
- The entrance ticket includes: map of services, official script of the event in 3 languages and a disc in DVD format alluding to the ceremony.
See you in Cusco for the Inti Raymi!!